Morris Library offers a number of services to support students online, regardless of location. Remote faculty should visit our page on our services for distance learning instructors.
All students, anywhere, can:
- Access electronic resources, including full text of articles and select book chapters. Find the majority of those resources on our Articles and Databases page.
- Request articles or chapters unavailable on our website through our Interlibrary Loan system. We’ll scan our copy or get an e-copy from another library.
- Get assistance from librarians and research experts to discover what article or chapter is best for you and how to find it. Get quick and helpful results. ASKALIBRARIAN
- Pick up or return Morris Library books (or any I-Share books) at any I-Share library in Illinois (details below). Map of I-Share Libraries
Requesting Physical Items from Off-Campus
If there are physical materials that you cannot access electronically, or you’re looking for an entire book or DVD, Morris Library will ship the items to you if you meet the following criteria:
- You must be enrolled in only online classes at SIU.
- You cannot live within commuting distance of Carbondale.
- If you attend classes on campus in Carbondale, you do not qualify.
- You agree to return any physical items to Morris Library, which may involve paying for shipping and insurance (or, in Illinois you can return at any I-Share library).
- If you have questions on your qualification, contact Marissa Ellermann, firstname.lastname@example.org or 618-453-1159.
If you qualify and know the physical item(s) you want, contact Marissa Ellermann by email email@example.com and include:
- Your name, mailing address, phone number and SIU ID number.
- The best citation you can find or write for the physical item(s) you want shipped to you.
Marissa will verify your status and requests and reply to your email with further details. Some items of note:
- There is no charge for these services.
- You can request an unlimited number of books, photocopies of articles, CDs, videos, and government documents.
- Requests for loans made by patrons living internationally may not be filled, depending on book condition, book rarity, shipping costs, etc. If we can’t ship the item, we’ll do our best to accommodate with electronic scans of chapters.
- Items should be returned to Morris Library by their due date.
- You can renew SIU or I-Share books by logging into your I-Share account. Renew ILL items by logging into your ILL account.
- You may not request required textbooks for your classes or items on reserve at Morris Library.
Delivery of Library Materials
- The library delivers electronic requests through email, with a link to the request in your ILL account, generally as a .pdf. We recommend you download requests, as they’re only visible through your ILL account for 30 days. Most article/chapter requests are filled in 1-2 days.
- Physical materials (books, videos, CDs, government documents, etc) will be sent to you through UPS 2nd Day Air. If the item is not from Morris Library's collection, we’ll ship it once it arrives here. I-Share items arrive within days, ILL loans may take longer. You are responsible for returning these items to Morris Library.
Pick Up and Return Materials to Another Library
- On the chance you live near another I-Share library, you may choose to have your request SIU or I-Share item(s) be delivered to that I-Share library. This can save several days in shipping.
- After selecting “Request from I-Share Libraries” or “Request from Morris Library”, use the pull-down menu “Preferred Pickup Institution” to select the library you want the book sent to.
- You will have to go to that library to get your request. It will not be mailed to your home.
- You might be required to have your SIU ID card in hand when you pick up requests. Check with the library in advance to find out their requirements.
- You may return books to any I-Share library to avoid personally shipping the books back to SIU.
- Be sure to get a receipt. It is the evidence you returned your item.
Return Library Materials by Shipping
- If you don’t live near an I-Share library, you can ship items back to us. Return books via U.S. Mail, UPS, or FedEx to the following address:
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
605 Agriculture Drive
Carbondale, IL 62901
- The library is not responsible for items lost in the mail. Purchasing insurance for your delivery is recommended to offset charges for items that are shipped but not received.
- You are responsible for any return shipping costs.
Request Help Using These Services
Questions about finding articles/books
Questions about your account
Marissa Ellermann, Head of Circulation Services
(ID problems and Interlibrary Loan questions)
Questions about MyCourses (D2L)