SIU-affiliated users and Courtesy Card holders can access Morris Library's online resources from any device with an active connection to the internet. If you're having trouble connecting to a resource, please follow the steps below.
Make sure you are accessing the resource from the Morris Library web page (http://www.lib.siu.edu), not a bookmark or typing in the URL directly.
- Southern Illinois University Carbondale (SIU) faculty, staff, and students who try to access licensed electronic resources from off-campus through a commercial Internet Service Provider (e.g. Verizon, Mediacom or AT&T) need to be authenticated by the library’s proxy server.
- The proxy server uses your Network ID to authenticate you as a valid member of the SIU community.
- The links on the library's website include a code that will prompt you to authenticate.
- Do not use the AOL web browser. It will not work with many library databases.
- Use a recent version of Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox.
- Check your browser settings.
For Internet Explorer:
- Go to “Tools” in the Navigation bar and select “Internet Options”.
- Click “General” tab. Under “Temporary Internet Files” click “Settings”. Make sure “Every Visit to the Page” is selected.
- Click “Security” tab and make sure Internet Globe is selected. Under "Security level for this zone" click “Default Level” and set the slider to Low.
- Click “Privacy” tab and set the slider to “Accept All Cookies” (the bottom setting).
- Click “Advanced” tab and click “Restore Defaults”.
- Make sure you click Apply, then OK.
For Mozilla Firefox:
- Go to “Tools” in the Navigation bar and select “Options”.
- Click “Privacy”, then click on “Cookies” and check the box “Allow site to set cookies”.
- Click OK.
If you've tried the above items, and you are not being asked for your Network ID from a screen with a blue triangle that says " Electronic Resource Access", then please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the database you are trying to access, your browser, your name, and university ID.
If you ARE getting asked for your university ID from a screen with a blue triangle that says Electronic Resource Access but your university ID does not let you access the e-resource, call 618/453-1455 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org and ask them to verify that your university ID is in the library database.