The mission of Library Affairs is to support the current and anticipated instructional, research, and service needs of Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. Library Affairs will strive to serve the citizens of the state and scholars of the nation and world. Library Affairs will assume a leadership role in providing intellectual, bibliographic, instructional, and physical access to information resources. Service to users is the first priority of the library.
- Library Affairs will acquire, organize, preserve, and provide access to materials and information in appropriate formats.
- Library Affairs will provide high-quality reference, bibliographic, and instructional services.
- Library Affairs will maximize the use of available resources by sharing information through cooperative programs and networks.
- Library Affairs will recruit qualified personnel, provide continuing support, and encourage development of all faculty and staff.
- Library Affairs will promote scholarly, creative, and service activities of library faculty.
- Library Affairs will furnish the facilities and equipment necessary to meet technological needs; to house, develop, and preserve collections; and to provide optimal space for users, staff, and services.
- Library Affairs will provide expert assistance in instructional development and technology, including that required to satisfy the University’s commitment to distance learning.
- Library Affairs will review its mission and goals and evaluate its structure and performance while planning for developing trends, new technologies, and changing needs.
Approved March 1996