The Library welcomes gifts of books and other materials that enhance or develop subject areas and support the instructional and research programs of the University.
Types of Gifts and Contacts
- Persons wishing to donate materials to the Library should contact Kristine McGuire at 618-453‐1633.
- Automatic drop‐offs are discouraged.
Monetary gifts are also welcome and appreciated.
- All such donations should be referred to Kristine McGuire, Development Officer, at 618-453‐1633.
Materials Gifts Guidelines
- Acceptance of gift materials depends on the same criteria as those for purchased items, namely, timeliness, scope, literary or scholarly quality, physical condition, processing costs and available shelf space.
- Materials not selected for addition to the collection may
- Be offered to the Friends of Morris Library for their booksales, the proceeds of which help fund other purchases and services; or
- Be recycled.
- The Library accepts books, audio‐visual materials (such as videos, CDs, etc.), journals, and maps that meet the criteria for selection.
Materials should be in good condition;
- Items that show evidence of mold, insect‐ or water‐damage are not accepted because of their potential to damage the rest of the library collection.
Appraisal of Gifts and Tax Information
- Library personnel do not appraise gift material.
The value of a gift must be determined prior to the donation and is the responsibility of the donor.
- Reference books are available in the Library to help determine the value of an item or collection.
- The website Your Old Books also contains helpful information about book valuation.
- Persons giving large donations are cautioned to consult their own tax advisors for more information.
- Formal acknowledgment of the gift may be requested by the donor at the time of donation.