The SIU COPE (SIU Carbondale Open-Access Publishing Equity) Fund seeks to advance the use of open access as a means of distributing the research and creative work of the Southern Illinois University Carbondale community by providing financial support to cover the fees charged for open access publication.
SIU COPE grants are available to faculty, including nontenure track faculty, and graduate students on the Carbondale campus. Only one author per article may apply. Authors may not submit applications to cover the fees for a journal when they or any of their co-authors hold a financial interest in the publishing company that publishes the journal.
Grants are available for open access journals, which are journals that do not charge a fee for institutions, libraries or readers for access to the content, and do not have an embargo period for access. Journals are subject to review based upon review process, reputation, presentation, marketing techniques, acceptance rate, and other factors as needed. In addition, journals must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Members of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA)
- Inclusion in the Directory of Open Access Journals and provide explicit permission to authors to retain distribution rights
- For hybrid journals, provide explicit permission to authors to retain distribution rights. (Hybrid journals are subscription journals that allow authors to make their article open access upon payment of a fee.)
Only those fees associated with open access publishing are eligible for support. Costs for reprints, color illustration fees, non-open access page charges, administrative charges and other fees are not supported.
Articles whose underlying research was funded by grants that allow funds to be used for open access fees are not eligible for funding.
Maximum Support Limits
In order to include as many authors as possible while covering typical costs, the following limits apply to support awards for each author:
- For fully Open Access journals: $2000 per article and per year
- For hybrid journals: $1500 per article and per year or 50% of the Open Access fee, whichever is less.
Disbursement is determined on a first come first served basis, provided all guidelines are met. The SIU Cope Fund review committee will confirm eligibility.
Submission to OpenSIUC
The SIU COPE Fund is part of Morris Library’s commitment to support open access, which also includes management of the SIU institutional repository, OpenSIUC. Acceptance of open access grants requires submission of the supported article to OpenSIUC within three months of publication. Questions about OpenSIUC, including details about the submission process, can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.