Individuals and companies who are not current SIU Carbondale students, faculty, or staff may purchase a Courtesy Card to gain a variety of privileges in Morris Library. Complete and print the application and bring it to the Circulation Desk to get your card the next time you visit, or stop by the Circulation Desk for a form. You will need to present a valid government issued photo ID (driver's license, state ID, passport, or military ID). Applicants must be 18 years or older. For children ages 12-18 to obtain a courtesy card, a parent or legal guardian must sign the application form in person at the Circulation Desk to assume responsibility for activities, fines, and fees associated with card use. We accept payment by check, money order, major credit cards or cash.
There are two categories of Courtesy Cards: Individual and Research.
1 month for $15; 6 months for $50; 1 year for $90
- Borrowing privileges for library materials that circulate; 4 weeks loan period for books, 5 day loan period for journals.
- Internet access when inside Morris Library (No Wi-Fi Access).
- Online resource access when inside Morris Library.
6 months for $500, 1 year for $750
- Borrowing privileges for library materials that circulate; 4 week loan period for books, 5 day loan period for journals
- Internet access when inside Morris Library (No Wi-Fi Access)
- Online resource access when inside Morris Library
- Up to 5 Courtesy Cards
Reduced Cost Courtesy Cards
Certain patrons qualify for a free or 50% discounted individual courtesy card upon verification of status:
- Alumni Association member – 50% off with a current member card.
- Community Listener and Learning in Retirement – 50% off with a valid card from Continuing Education.
- Spouse or domestic partner of student, faculty, or staff at SIU – free with spouse/domestic partner card from HR for faculty/staff or from Student Development for students.
- Student or employee of John A Logan College-- Students get a free card for current semester upon enrollment verification. Faculty or staff get 50% off the purchase of a courtesy card upon current employment verification from the JALC Payroll Office.
- SIU School of Medicine Volunteer Faculty – free with current appointment card or letter from SOM.
Expiration dates on free courtesy cards will match the date on provided verification card, letter, or other documentation provided by the user and are subject to verification. John A Logan courtesy cards are issued for current semester and must be renewed each semester.
Courtesy Card Guidelines
When you sign up for a Courtesy Card from Morris Library, you agree to the following terms:
Individual courtesy cards entitle only the individual named on the application form to use Morris Library services because of licensing restrictions. If the card or login credentials are used by anyone else, access will be cancelled and money will not be refunded.
Report lost cards to the Circulation Desk immediately.
Courtesy card holders are responsible for payment of fines or fees associated with services requested through the account.
Courtesy card fees are non-refundable.
Keep the Circulation Desk aware of current mail, email, and phone contact information.
Abide by Morris Library circulation policies and amendments as approved by the SIU Board of Trustees.
Adhere to all established policies (http://lib.siu.edu/policies) for Morris Library and "reasonable standards of conduct" as outlined in the SIU Student Conduct Code to maintain courtesy card privileges.
- Courtesy Card users must be 18 years or older. For children ages 12-18 to obtain a courtesy card, a parent or legal guardian must sign the application form in person at the Circulation Desk to assume responsibility for activities, fines, and fees associated with card use.